Páginas

sábado, 11 de octubre de 2014

Malala Yousafzai

I do not think that war is a subject that I like to talk, and less put it on my blog, but I think that in this case, I must publish it.


This girl is Malala Yousafzai, and surely you have heard about her. She is a 17 Pakistani student who has become a female education activist, and also the youngest ever Nobel Prize recipient. Malala is known mainly for human rights defense for education and for women in northwest Pakistan. One year ago, she was shot in the head by Taliban gunmen. According to him, her 'crime' was to have spoken up for the right of girls to be educated. After weeks in intensive care, Malala survived. When Malala was asked for their activism, although she knew the danger, she replied: "I didn't want my future to be imprisoned in my four walls and just cooking and giving birth".


The situation of girls in Pakistan is of concern for everybody because of  Malala, and it is especially alarming in rural areas due to social and cultural obstacles. Before firing, Malala wrote an anonymous diary about life under Taliban rule in north-west Pakistan, and she documented the anxiety she and her friends felt as they saw students dropping away from class for fear of being targeted by militants, and as the girls began to attend school in plain clothes not uniform, so as not to draw attention on themselves. Militants destroyed scores of girls chools in the time the Taliban wielded power over the valley, and this became Malala's primary concern.

Here there is a Malala Yousafzai's speech at the ONU, which I saw today on the TV, and I think everybody must watch it and reflect on:


1 comentario: